Monday, July 11, 2011

Old Gadgets

I have a weakness for technology gadgets.  Over the years I have bought several devices that I may not have needed.  I was wooed by the small footprint of the EeePC, impatient with the availability of a portable video device and bought the Archos 604 WiFi only to purchase an iPod Touch shortly afterward.  I am also a victim of Apple's keen marketing of their products and currently own a 4th generation iPod, 2nd generation iPod Touch, 2nd generation iPod Shuffle, 1st generation iPad, and an iPhone 4.

While there certainly is a level of satisfaction gained from the initial purchase of each of these devices, the luster wares off after awhile.  Quickly this collection of the latest technology results in a pile of unused technology sitting on a shelf in my basement.  Now it is time to rid myself of these past technology investments.

I made a deal with my son that he can sell some of these devices on eBay and keep the proceeds to put toward his college expenses this fall.  After doing some research on the current selling price for these gadgets we realized how quickly these products loose their value.  I find myself asking if my compulsiveness for these latest gadgets has been worth it.

I also find myself second guessing when I have an urge to buy another product.  I would really like to own the the next Kindle but I'm not sure if I would use it when I already have an iPad and plenty of physical books.  Hopefully, I will think a little more about this before I go out and buy something.  Fortunately, with my son heading off to college this fall, I don't have too much extra money to waste.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Skills to Look for in Project Managers

Today I read a brief article describing the eight skills to look for when hiring an IT project manager. The headlines caught my attention...