Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Big Data

I am teaching a new course this fall titled Applications of Business Intelligence and am really excited about exploring this field as I prepare for the class.  Today I attended a webinar hosted by KMWorld on big data.  The presentation was facilitated by Andy Moore (publisher at KMWorld) and featured Mark Meyers (Vivisimo), Rik Tamm-Daniels (Attivo), and Kathy Lange (SAS Business Analytics Practice).

I find this field of IT particularly interesting with my research focus in knowledge management and database management.  The field of business intelligence/business analytics/data analysis all complement the knowledge management field rather nicely.  As I am just beginning to dig into this domain area, I find the language rather frustrating.  Perhaps there is true delineation between business intelligence, business analytics, data analysis, and data warehousing but they all seem to belong within the same domain area (albeit different aspects of this domain area).

The webinar presentation provided some good insight into the current state of the industry.  Organizations are certainly applying these concepts; particularly larger organizations.  However, there seems to be little evidence of mastery over this new technological and logistical challenge.  This should prove to be a developing field and will result in an exciting journey as I prepare for my new course.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Skills to Look for in Project Managers

Today I read a brief article describing the eight skills to look for when hiring an IT project manager. The headlines caught my attention...