Thursday, September 13, 2012

Evernote is PKM

This month's copy of KMWorld included an article about Evernote as a PKM tool.  In the article, the author described Evernote users as either individuals using specific functions within the service or those who us it as a one-stop personal knowledge repository.  I certainly fall in the latter category; those that use it for everything.

In my Evernote account I maintain notebooks for my research, courses, college-related items, projects, and personal items.  I am then able to search across notebooks to find anything or use the tagging function to select a group of related times.  For instance, today I added an Evernote note about a BI article I read that relates to my BI course.  I included a hyperlink to the article in this note, tagged it with tags of BI and the course number, and described how the article could be useful.  This note is now added to my collection of BI articles, and other notes related to either BI or my BI course.

This example and the functionality in the tool represents an ideal environment for a personal knowledge management repository.  This PKM environment will continue to grow.  With all of the new functionality being added to Evernote (Skitch, Clearly, and a whole catalog of third party integrated applications in the Trunk store) it is quickly becoming a PKM platform.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Skills to Look for in Project Managers

Today I read a brief article describing the eight skills to look for when hiring an IT project manager. The headlines caught my attention...