Friday, April 15, 2011

Firefox or Chrome?

I keep switching between Firefox and Chrome for my main browser.  Prior iterations of the Firefox browser proved to be very slow to load; even without many extensions on the browser.  As a result, I switched to Google's flashy Chrome browser and immediately noticed an increase start-up time.  Since then I have stuck with Chrome and suffered through some Java incompatibilities with the WYSIWYG editor in our learning management system and the manual steps required to download an exported file from EndNote.

Every month or so I think about migrating back to Firefox so that I can take advantage of a more flexible browser but I just couldn't take the slow load times and the less polished interface.  I was also hooked on the combination URL address and Google search bar at the top of the Chrome browser.  Chrome offered a much more pleasant interface to work within but it just didn't support the Java scripts needed for my learning management system and the online journal database exporting.  Throughout my waffling back and forth between Chrome and Firefox I also contemplated migrating to Internet Explorer but just can't give up the native spell checking in Firefox and Chrome.

After reading the ProfHacker blog posting today I decided to make the switch back to Firefox.  While I miss the wonderful Chrome interface, I do appreciate the enhanced Java capabilities of Firefox.

What is your experience?  Do you favor one browser over the other?  Why?

Brandon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Skills to Look for in Project Managers

Today I read a brief article describing the eight skills to look for when hiring an IT project manager. The headlines caught my attention...