Monday, March 26, 2012

How Big is Too Big?

A colleague recently purchased the new Samsung Galaxy Note phone.  This new phone is quite impressive in the screen size and brightness.  The phone as a 5.3 inch screen and looks like a cross between a mobile phone and a tablet.  A quick preview and I was able to see how much easier it is to use the applications on the phone than a traditional smartphone and how the increased size increases the usefulness for working on documents and other forms of input (the device even comes with a stylus).

I was instantly intrigued with this device and how it made my iPhone look somewhat inferior.  Then, I imagined myself placing this device next to my head to make a call; this form factor now seemed a little awkward.  The larger screen is great and would really increase the usefulness of the devise.  However the benefits of the larger size also create issues for usability.

If the trend toward larger screens on our mobile devices continues, perhaps headsets will become more common so we can maintain the advantage of the larger screen real estate while overcoming the awkwardness in using it as a phone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Skills to Look for in Project Managers

Today I read a brief article describing the eight skills to look for when hiring an IT project manager. The headlines caught my attention...