Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Top 20 IT Topics

This term I'm teaching an MBA course on information technology.  In this course my students will research and prepare a presentation on an IT-related topic.  Wanting to make sure the students invest their research efforts in meaningful knowledge, I prepared a list of topics that are frequently covered in the IT professional magazines.

Here is my list of the top twenty IT-related topics (in no particular order):
  • Enterprise Resource Planning Systems
  • Customer Relationship Management Systems
  • Cloud Computing
  • Bring Your Own Device
  • Software as a Service
  • Business Intelligence
  • Web Services
  • Tablet Computers
  • Data Analytics
  • Chromebook Computers
  • Business Process Reengineering
  • Knowledge Management Systems
  • Big Data
  • Electronic Medical Record Systems
  • Supply Chain Management Systems
  • Crowdsourcing
  • Radio Frequency ID
  • Hadoop and MapReduce
  • Telemedicine
  • Internet of Things
My guess is that if you made a list you would have some of these topics on your list too but I bet your list would not look the same as mine.  What topics are missing from my list?  What topics shouldn't be on this list?

2 comments:

  1. Ethics. Not limited to compliance laws. RFID - should people be chipped? e-Discovery - is just business data subject to this or employees personal data on company computers? The Internet of Things is ripe for unethical uses. In all these topics, there is a "soft" component that is every bit as important and understanding the technology itself. But, you know that; this is just one of my passions in the IT field.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point Kaye, this topic came up in class too. Ethics and social acceptance provides constraints on adoption to many of these trends.

    ReplyDelete

Skills to Look for in Project Managers

Today I read a brief article describing the eight skills to look for when hiring an IT project manager. The headlines caught my attention...