Wednesday, November 30, 2011

The Cloud's Dark Side

While I really enjoy using cloud services like Evernote, Gmail, Remember the Milk, Google Reader, Delicious, and (of course) Blogger, I am left worried about my reliance on these services.  I have invested a lot of time and information into these services and rely on continual access to this information.  What would happen if any of these cloud services were dropped and I no longer had access to my information?

These services are not guaranteed and history has proven these cloud services do disappear. Google Wave, Jump, Broadcast, and Google Notebook are failed cloud services I used to rely upon but have since disappeared (along with my information).  This has caused me to be weary of my reliance on cloud services.  However, I continue to depend upon these services for the convenient access and centralized data storage.

Will I continue to be disappointed by failed cloud services and disruptions in my use of these tools?  Probably, but I still find them to be so useful I'm willing to assume the risk.  The future may offer more stability as firms define better business plans for these cloud services.  There may continue to be failed services but I think this will lessen in the future.  I may loose access in the future and I will adjust; just don't take away my Evernote!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Skills to Look for in Project Managers

Today I read a brief article describing the eight skills to look for when hiring an IT project manager. The headlines caught my attention...