Monday, November 14, 2011

RSS Feeds or Printed Publications

I have been adding more and more RSS feeds to my reader and have enjoyed reading from so many different sources.  I find this a great way to get a broad perspective on the topics of interest to me.  It is also convenient way to read since I can read these RSS feeds from my desktop, iPhone, iPad.

I also try to keep up-to-date on the paper subscriptions I receive.  These journals and professional magazines are filled with great articles but not all of the topics are specific to my areas of interest within IT.  Also, there are so many publications I receive that I'm having a tough time keeping up.  Right now I have a stack of 10 print publications on my office table waiting for me to read.  I want to read these articles but I don't always have them with me.

I value the print publications because they offer new insights by sources I may not have added in my RSS feeds.  I also enjoy the advertisements because they help me see the latest products, issues and trends in the field.  I only wish I was able to have these subscriptions through my iPad.  One of my subscriptions (PM Network) does offer an iPad application so I'm able to read the articles through the iPad.  As a result, I often spend more time reading this subscription than I do my other subscriptions.  I certainly hope publishers soon begin embracing the new digital formats to distribute their publications.  While print publications are great, they are not always with me the way my digital copies are.

I value my access to the RSS feeds but see this source of information as too narrow (reliant on my choice of feeds) as opposed to the broader coverage offered in printed publications.  I certainly hope to see these printed publications continue to move to the digital format and continue to provide the broad coverage they currently offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Skills to Look for in Project Managers

Today I read a brief article describing the eight skills to look for when hiring an IT project manager. The headlines caught my attention...