Tuesday, April 10, 2012

File Folder Trick

This week I have a lot of meetings.  Most often these meetings include handouts that I received ahead of time to review before the meeting.  With all of these handouts it can be challenging to be sure I review them before the meeting and bring them to the meeting.  Fortunately, a few years ago I adopted the 43 Folders approach.  This organizational approach was made popular by David Allen in his book Getting Things Done.

Using this approach (see a demonstration) I place my meeting handouts in the appropriate daily file folder as I receive them.  Each morning when I get to my office I take out the contents of the days folder, review anything that I need to review to prepare for the meeting, and place the contents in my meeting portfolio.  I also include some of the items I'm working on that day that are noted in my Remember the Milk page.

This is a simple yet effective method for organizing loose items in the office and ensuring that I don't forget my handouts for my meetings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Skills to Look for in Project Managers

Today I read a brief article describing the eight skills to look for when hiring an IT project manager. The headlines caught my attention...