Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Communicating with Students

I will have to admit that I sometimes reinforce the stereotype of  IT people that cannot communicate.  I am sometimes so focused on achieving goals and timelines that I forget about the importance of communications along the way.

Earlier today one of my undergraduate students was in my office and we were discussing the final project and how I was grading these projects.  During this discussion the student mentioned the frustration over my rejection of late assignments.  My policy for all of my courses is that I don't accept late assignments unless prior arrangements have been made.  The student described an instance where an absence prevented the student from submitting a homework assignment and that, during the next class, I did not accept this assignment for credit (although I offered to review the assignment and provide feedback).

After hearing this student's frustration I explained that I am trying to prepare the class for the working world where they would need to inform their employer in the event they were not able to come in or meet any deliverables.  It would be unacceptable to simply not show up.  I also reiterated my policy allows students to let me know ahead of time and make alternative arrangements in the event they are not able to meet the assignment due date.  After hearing this explanation, the student understood the reasoning and also agreed with the purpose and the approach.

In the future, I need to be more clear in explaining my policy to the students and help them understand the reasoning and encourage them to work with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Skills to Look for in Project Managers

Today I read a brief article describing the eight skills to look for when hiring an IT project manager. The headlines caught my attention...