Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Improving My Grading

It is that time of the semester when our students are busy submitting their final projects and taking our final exams.  Right now the hallways have quieted but there is still a lot of activity on campus as students near the end of the semester.

My courses ended on Monday so I have the remainder of the week to finish my grading (self-imposed deadline).  As I have noted in prior posts, I rely on rubrics to support my evaluation of the students' work.  These rubrics enable a more structured and consistent evaluation but I still find my evaluations include
 a level of subjectivity.  I also notice that while using the rubrics in my evaluations, I find issues with the coverage and criteria used in the rubrics.

Like many aspects of teaching, the grading and evaluation rubrics are a work in progress and we continually make incremental improvements.  I don't know if it is possible to completely systematically evaluate my students' work and remove all subjectivity but I hope I can continue to make progress in doing so.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Skills to Look for in Project Managers

Today I read a brief article describing the eight skills to look for when hiring an IT project manager. The headlines caught my attention...