Thursday, December 15, 2011

Friendships in Online Classrooms

Earlier this week I watched as the students in my class worked together on their projects and I noticed how well they know each other and enjoy working together.  I thought about the benefits of face-to-face classes in supporting this close interaction and how these students will continue their friendships beyond my class.

As I thought more about this, I see this same relationship building in the online environment too.  This past spring during our graduate symposium I noticed how well the students from our online program knew each other.  Although they had never met before in-person before the symposium, they seemed to have already established a bond.  Through the in-class discussion assignments, off-topic discussion threads, and email outside of the classes, the students found a way to connect and get to know each other.

Maybe these close relationships occur regardless of the location of the classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Skills to Look for in Project Managers

Today I read a brief article describing the eight skills to look for when hiring an IT project manager. The headlines caught my attention...