Monday, December 12, 2011

Will Others Follow?

A couple of weeks ago my copy of eWeek included a cover page explaining a big change to the technology magazine.  Beginning in January 2012, the magazine is moving to an electronic format and will be delivered twice a week rather than once a week.  This new model will reduce printing and delivery costs and enable the publisher to provide more timely information.

When I learned of this change I immediately downloaded the eWeek app for my iPad and read the current issue on my iPad.  I am already using my iPad to read the PM Network magazine and will now be able to also read the eWeek magazine too.  However, unlike the PM Network magazine, the eWeek magazine will no longer be delivered in the paper format.

After reading the PM Network magazine on my iPad over the past few months, I found myself simply recycling the physical copy of the magazine when as soon as it arrived and am now experiencing the same effect with my physical copies of eWeek.  The reading experience on the iPad is very nice since it doesn't require long periods of time reading the backlit screen and offers very clear and bright images.  When I open the iPad magazine app I am first presented with a layout view of the entire magazine before I select where I want to begin reading.  Also, the digital copy is in the same format as the physical copy so I'm very comfortable reading this on my iPad.

So far I'm very happy with this change and am pleased to be able to keep my magazine library with me on my iPad.  I hope other magazines will follow eWeek's lead by offering iPad (or other tablet) versions of their publications.  I wonder if we are beginning to see a shift in how people consume these publications and, if this shift does take place, I wonder about any repercussions from this change.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Skills to Look for in Project Managers

Today I read a brief article describing the eight skills to look for when hiring an IT project manager. The headlines caught my attention...