Tuesday, January 17, 2012

What I did New Year's Eve

A few years ago I picked up my drums again (stopped playing after my freshman year in college) and began playing with a local band.  We play big band music in the nursing homes around the area and have a few "gigs" at the city parks in the summer.  Recently, a local paper covered one of the New Year's concerts we performed.

Playing at these concerts is a big effort for a drummer.  I store my drums in the basement of my house and must load, unload, setup, take down, load, and unload the drums for each concert.  A one hour concert typically requires another 90 minutes of work to prepare and take down.  However, as I mentioned in the article, this effort is worth it when I see how much the audience loves the music we play and how it brings back memories of their youth.  My wife always reminds me of this when I'm complaining about lugging the drums around.  She's right, it is important to take into consideration the impact our efforts have on the lives of other people.

I need to keep this in mind as I prepare to teach and advise my students.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Skills to Look for in Project Managers

Today I read a brief article describing the eight skills to look for when hiring an IT project manager. The headlines caught my attention...