Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Great Brainstorming Tool

This weekend I was reintroduced to a great brainstorming tool.  Over the past few months I have been using Microsoft Visio to as a brainstorming (mind-mapping) tool for a research project and the new project management Master's degree I have been developing.  Visio works great but requires the software to be installed on the device.  This weekend I was helping my wife with a project and we needed a diagramming tool.  I first thought about using Diagramly, the diagramming tool I blogged about several weeks ago, but then I remembered another great free web-based tool for diagramming...Bubbl.us.

Bubbl.us is a brainstorming tool that allows the user to connect a series of boxes (or bubbles) as part of a mind-mapping diagram.  What is great about this tool is the ease in exporting the diagram to an image file and embedding it into a Word document.  Also, since it is a web-based application, it is OS-independent and I can access my saved diagrams from any computer.

We were pleased with the results and she now has access to this diagram for future use from her own Bubbl.us account.

2 comments:

  1. Bubbl.us is pretty slick. Having used Visio, and no OmniGraffle for years, I have to say, this Bubbl.us is pretty freakin' awesome. Thanks for the tip!

    How often are you exporting your diagrams to Word/email? Is this a near-daily part of your workflow?

    There's also http://cortex.karmanebula.com/about for text-only brainstorming (which I often do myself).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comments and your recommendation for the text-only brainstorming tool. I'll have to take a look at this.

      I typically keep my diagrams online but occasionally bring them into a document. In terms of embedding a diagram, Bubbl.us is not as easy as Visio to import and edit once its embedded but is is a nice an easy, free, and platform-independent tool. I would use Visio if this were something I did on a regular basis.

      Delete

Skills to Look for in Project Managers

Today I read a brief article describing the eight skills to look for when hiring an IT project manager. The headlines caught my attention...