Monday, May 7, 2012

Indiana Jones and the Commonplace Book

This weekend my son and I watched the third Indiana Jones movie, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.  This is the first time I saw the movie since I was his age.

The first half of the movie consisted of the good guys and bad guys searching for Dr Henry Jones' (the older Jones) journal.  In this journal, the archaeologist recorded diagrams, maps, notes, clippings, and other pieces of knowledge related to his search for the Holy Grail. This journal is actually what was traditionally referred to as a commonplace book where individuals would compile knowledge in a single location and refer back to the entries for recall and further memorization.

The commonplace book is a fantastic personalized knowledge management practice that is less practiced today in the age of electronic storage and searching.  I wonder how moving away from the commonplace book to more electronic forms has affected our ability to memorize and retain the knowledge we capture.  Both Dr. Jones (Henry and Indiana) appeared to have the ability to recall the knowledge recorded in the book better than I would have been able to.  Maybe it's just Hollywood or maybe there is some truth here.  Maybe there are some advantages to the traditional form of knowledge management.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Skills to Look for in Project Managers

Today I read a brief article describing the eight skills to look for when hiring an IT project manager. The headlines caught my attention...